Charged with theft in Denton? Call us!
While not all theft crimes are equal, they are all dealt with harshly. If you have been accused of theft, don't delay in seeking a Denton criminal defense lawyer to handle your case. At the Wheeler Law Office, our skilled attorney has experience in various criminal defense cases, in addition to dozens of cases as a prosecutor for the County Criminal District Attorney's Office. He uses the knowledge gained from this experience to bolster his skills as a defense lawyer, and can provide premier counsel for your case.
Consequences for Theft
For lesser acts of theft, the offender is likely to receive a misdemeanor charge. Such charges are generally issued based on the value of stolen goods, although certain crimes may be an automatic misdemeanor regardless of the amount taken. Likewise, felony charges are reserved for more aggressive theft, including robbery and larceny worth more than $1,500.
Various theft charges and related penalties include:
- Class C misdemeanor: For theft of property totaling less than $50 in value, a person could be charged up to $500.
- Class B misdemeanor: For larceny worth at least $50 and less than $500, or for a consecutive offense worth less than $50, a person could face up to 180 days in jail, as well as $2,000 in fines.
- Class A misdemeanor: Stealing property valued between $500 and $1,500 can lead a person to a year of jail sentencing and as much as $4,000 in fines
- State jail felony: For burglary, theft of a firearm or stealing property worth at least $1,500 and less than $20,000, a person may spend up to 2 years in jail and bear fines of $10,000.
- Third degree felony: Following a theft worth a minimum of $20,000 and less than $100,000, a person may face up to 10 years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
- Second degree Felony: Burglary of a home or stealing property worth between $100,000 and $20,000 can be punished with as much as 20 years of prison time and $10,000 in fines.
- First degree felony: The harshest charges will follow theft of property with a value of at least $200,000. A first degree felony can result in as much as 99 years in prison and $10,000 in fines.
Whether you have been charged with shoplifting or grand theft auto, conviction of a theft can dramatically change your life. Fight your charges by working with an experienced attorney. In many cases, especially for a first offense, a legal professional can help you negotiate or complete certain programs to seek lesser sentencing. Contact our firm to learn how we can help!
Hire a Qualified Theft Crimes Defense Attorney
Not sure if you can afford a Denton criminal defense attorney? The lawyer at our firm offers legal services at a flat-rate fee, and provides payment plans to ensure a reasonable approach to your attorney fees. Additionally, our legal team starts every case with a free consultation, which you can use to decide if you would like to work with our legal professional, free of charge. We are accessible, experienced, and ready to handle your case.
Contact our firm, Wheeler Law Office, to schedule a free case evaluation with a seasoned defense lawyer!